new Click

Thursday, July 8, 2010

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH POPE SKINNY












Pope skinny as he is popularly known, is a Ghanaian rapper from Amanokrom in the Eastern Region of Ghana. On 18/10/09, Labanti of the Gh undagee Cypher team, managed to interact with the musician for about five minutes.

This is how the interview went.

G.U.C: Good day, Pope Skinny
P.S: Good day, man. Whats good?

G.U.C: We've heard the name Pope Skinny on radio, seen it in newspapers, on the t.v and all. Is that your real name?
P.S: (laughing)...My real name is Edwin Ohene Darko

G.U.C: So Mr. Ohene Darko, could you tell us more about yourself?
P.S: My real name as I said earlier on is Edwin Ohene Darko. I come from Amanokrom-Akwapim in the Eastern region of Ghana.

G.U.C: Pope Skinny, I want to ask.......at what age did you realise your talent?
P.S: Age???....hmmm, i can't really remember but I recall I was very young then

G.U.C: Who inspired you to do music or who was your role model as a kid?
P.S:: I didn't really have a role model. But I loved Bone thugs and Harmony

G.U.C: So, how did you become a musician?
P.S: You know as a kid, I was just rapping around. But things got really serious when I got into Senior Secondary School.

G.U.C: Before I move on? Which secondary school did you attend?:
P.S:: I was in Aggrey Memorial school in my first year, then I moved to Adonteng secondary school, where I completed.

G.U.C: Do you remember any of those you started rapping with?
P.S: Yeah, I started rapping with Abortion and King Palmer in English. Later, when i started rapping in Akuapem Twi, I was "rolling" with Shankoma, another Akuapem rapper in the Eastern region.

G.U.C: How did you do it, I mean like moving from the underground to the Ghanaian music scene?
P.S: It wasn't easy doing that at all. I remember back in 2002, when I was still in the underground, I was featured by 4x4 on their album at that time. This made me the first Akuapem rapper to hit the scene. After that, I had other artistes like Okomfo Kwadei, Buk Bak, Castro, Obrafuor and others featuring me on their albums. It was in 2005 I finally released my first album, entitled, "mmre pa"

G.U.C: Have you working on anything recently?
P.S: Of course. You know it just can't end like that. I have released some singles already. And I just finished work on my second album.

G.U.C: If i may ask, what is the name of your second album? And what should we expect on it?
P.S: The name of the album is Round 2. As for what to expect on it, you already know your boy Pope Skinny, I give nothing but the best. I have several tracks and "mugu" remix on it. Go grab it and feel the heat...(laughing)

G.U.C: So tell me, what have you achieved for yourself as a Ghanaian rapper so far?
P.S: Talking about achievements, I can't name them all, but some of them include meeting big people and you know as a young boy like me I've been able to go places I never thought was possible and all that.

G.U.C: What is your own opinion of the current state of the music industry in Ghana?
P.S: I am very happy about the way things are going, you know, the industry is growing bigger and bigger making it possible for artistes to sell their work to the world.

G.U.C: One last controversial question, rumours have it that, you have a "beef" with O.K, I mean, Okyeame Kwame. How true is it?
P.S: I am really glad you asked this question. I want to let my fans and all know that, I have no "beef" with O.K. No "beef" at all.

G.U.C: Pope Skinny thanks for your time. But before we depart, what would you want to tell all your fans?
P.S:I want to say a big thank you to all my fans for praying for me in my absence from the music scene and to all who love me.


Share

No comments: